1.12.2017

Goodbye Facebook

Dear Facebook,

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to quit you.  For good, this time.  

It’s not you, it’s me.  

This is precipitated by that consistently nauseated feeling I get when I think of you and all those useless, insipid posts that people put up.  When I think yet again that I need to pare down my friends list to people I actually consider friends and/or people that will not repeatedly invite me to join them to play your stupid games.  I can’t figure out if they keep inviting me because they assume I made a mistake when I hit the decline button, or if the grand plan is to wear me down. 

I really detest posts like “8 Ways To Know if You Have a Real Man” or “Repost if you Love The Lord/Your Grandchildren/Your Dogs”.    If you need Facebook to tell you whether or not you’re in a relationship with a man or an overgrown child, then you have more problems than eight bullet points can address.  Those repost request are always for the most absurd shit.  Why do I need to declare my feelings for the rest of Facebook?  The religious ones seem to consistently have some shaming element to them, often with a veiled threat.  You don’t think so?  I actually saw one where it reminded people that they don’t want the Lord to be ashamed of them on judgement day…so they shouldn’t deny him on Facebook.  Really?  What a crock of holy shit.   Besides, Jesus is on Twitter. He won’t see the post. 

I don’t have the urge to post personal things anymore.   I don’t want people to know where I spent Christmas or how drunk I was for New Years - all anyone needs to know is that it wasn’t as drunk I as would've liked.   You’re right, I did post the photos from our family trip to New York.  That was just a few months ago in October.  My heart wasn’t really in it.  I’d finally taken the opportunity to use the photo editing software on my computer and I loved the results.  That’s really what I wanted to share - my newfound photo editing skills, not much else.

The obvious answer to all of the issues I have is to ignore them, right?  Just get on, see what I like and then get off.  I have been doing that for the last year, but still being on Facebook feels like I’m contributing to the problem - like those people who slow down to look at a wreck on the freeway and only cause traffic.

I do like seeing photos of the babies in my family - especially since I don’t get to see them as often as I’d like, but maybe our breakup will be the push I need to keep in touch with them in the real world, where I can snuggle and play with them.

I know my one small withdrawal from your world won’t really make one damn bit of difference.  You have millions upon millions of users and won’t shed a single tear over my exit.  But we’ve had a long relationship and some good times.  It seemed wrong to simply disappear without a word. 

Maybe when the world gets a little less crazy - or I start making ‘friends’ with less crazy people, I’ll come back.

Take care,

Shayla