5.01.2016

It's Just Us

This week, Ray & I will celebrate our thirteenth wedding anniversary.  As the number gets higher, I feel like we’re survivors or warriors or something.  Everyday isn’t our first date, but this man has been by my side for the last 4,475 days and we’re still laughing and having fun.  The adventure I’ve been on with him has only been rivaled by our journey as parents.

There’s one thing though, that we’ve done since the beginning that I’m super glad we decided to do.   

We've always made the circle only big enough for two.

People were happy for us when we found each other. We’d both been married before. We had two small kids between us.  However, many had lots of opinions about what Ray and I should (or should not) be doing as a couple - from whether or not we should have more children to where we should live.  Much of it unsolicited.  

From the beginning, we were a unit.  Once we were married, we promised each other that it would be us against the world.  We've kept that promise.  We communicate.  A lot.  We’re the best of friends and we respect each other’s opinions.  Once we decide, that’s the end of it.  No one else ever gets a say.  It’s among the things I’m most proud of about our relationship - our duo is really a duo.   It’s created a safe place, where neither of us have to worry about being upstaged by the outside world in our marriage. 

I love it and I love him.  Saying yes to his proposal was once of the smartest things I’ve ever done.

Happy anniversary baby!  Here’s to lucky number thirteen and thirteen lifetimes more!