2.28.2017

Label Maker


Doesn’t everything about living feel a la carte now?  TV choices (cable v. Netflix v. Roku), investing, even your gender identity/sexual orientation.  I didn’t quite realize this until my daughter told me I was cisgendered.  

Say what now?

After an exasperated sigh (which no one can deliver quite like a teenager), she explained that it means that my insides match my outsides (in contrast to transgendered).  I identify as a woman and the body I was born with matches that identification.  It made my head hurt.  You know why?  Because she went on to explain that being cisgendered has nothing to do with my sexuality.  That’s yet another set of labels - heterosexual, homosexual, pansexual, asexual, bisexual.  

There's also something called gender fluidity.  Fuck if I know what that means specifically. 

Shit.  

I don’t know if I can keep this all straight (no pun intended).  I can barely piece together all of the labels that apply to me.  I definitely cannot keep up with what other people are.  

I think I’m the vanilla version of what these labels are.  I don’t know how many of them it would take to describe rocky road.  

We should just stick with the label  ‘human being’. 

That’s fair and that covers everything.